Many start-up companies and existing small businesses fail to realize that first impressions count when it comes to web design. If your visitors aren’t impressed with your website within the first few seconds they enter, they will more than likely leave your site and visit somebody else’s. Whether you have an existing website and you’re thinking about redesigning it or you want a completely new website built from scratch, there are a few things you will want to avoid.
Here are 7 web design mistakes to avoid:
- Avoid having error messages displayed on your web pages. Code error messages look very unprofessional. Error messages give people the impression that something has malfunctioned on your website. As a result, your visitors will instantly leave.
- Visitors should know exactly what your website is about as soon as they enter your website. When visitors aren’t able to make out what your website is about, they will quickly get bored and leave.
- Make sure your web content is easy to read and scannable. This is where many people often make mistakes. Avoid having large blocks of text. When visitors enter your site, they will usually not have time to read your content word for word. To make web content easier to read use lists, headers, subheaders and bullet points. This helps people to filter through content much faster.
- Don’t forget to add valid contact information on your website. Having contact information builds creditability. Include your business phone number, business address and email address. If you decide not to include your phone number or address, make sure you include your email address.
- Make sure your web content doesn’t contain spelling or grammatical errors. Your web content can affect the overall quality of your website.
- Don’t overdo it with flash and animation. This can be a turnoff to your potential customers. When it comes to web design, keep it simple as possible
- Make sure all your links are working properly. There is nothing more frustrating than clicking onto broken links.
Last but not least, hiring a professional web design team can help you avoid many of these mistakes. They will build a website that will impress your visitors. The key to having a successful website is a site that is well designed, user friendly with web content that’s easy to read. A well designed website is more likely to turn visitors into customers.