Links – Still Crazy Important
The Benefit of Links
Despite what you have have heard about Panda, Penguin and other changes at Google, link-building is still is the single best method to improve search engine rankings. The difficulty with building links is that not all links are equal… some links are very helpful in boosting rankings and some links (that majority) are not helpful at all.
For instance, when a highly trusted and authoritative website links to your website, Google recognizes that and awards a higher level of authority to your website. When a low-quality website links to your website, it doesn’t do anything for your rankings. If ALL the links pointing to your website are from crappy websites, it will actually hurt your rankings.
What all this means is that we need to focus on quality – not quantity.
The Link-Building Process
So the process for Link-Building is like this…
- Choose your top keyword targets
- Analyze the “link profiles” of competing sites that rank highly for those keywords
- Determine why those competing websites are ranking highly
- Identify high-quality websites linking to your competitors that may also link to your website
- Develop content, or a reason why those websites would be willing to link to your website in addition, or instead of your competition
- Approach those websites and ask for links
Additional / simultaneous methods…
- Scan websites for broken links and suggest/provide similar content – this makes life easier for web masters
- again, high-quality websites are important here
- Identify related media sites/blogs/newsletters and develop relationship with them to use your experience/knowledge for content on their site/blog/etc.
- Monitor PR opportunities for specific articles being developed
Of the methods above, you can handle you can handle a couple on your own – there are tools to help and we can guide you if you’d like. The other steps require experience and special tools.
This is a very time-consuming process, but it’s also the most rewarding.